Monday, February 7, 2011

Early Childhood Developmental Delay.

That is what Kai was diagnosed with today.

Here is a little background first. 

Kai has no words.  He only says a few, every one and a while.  These would include "oh oh", "dis" and "dat".  He does not say "Mama" or "Dada".  

I began to get worried around his 15 month appointment with his Pedi.  She didn't really seem all that concerned.  My motherly instints told me something wasn't right.  I tried to put it to the back of my mind and not worry about it until his 18 month appointment... but a few weeks before we got some advice that I will never forget - "Don't let anyone tell you its normal - Its not."  The next day I made a call to get him evualated by the local school district. 

Today two ladies came over.  They got right on the floor to do their evualation.  Kai was very very shy and would not participate in any of their activities.  They had to go by my word, since Kai was doing nothing but sitting on my lap. 

Once they started naming off months, I knew we were in for it.  "He is a solid 11 months for ____" "He is a solild 8 months for ______" Then they said "he is a solid 5 months for ____" and my heart kinda sank.  One of the ladies looked at me and said "We are really happy that you called us... as you can see, he is behind in more than just his speech". 

On the plus side, he is right on track for self help and self care (brushing his teeth, self feeding).  One of the ladies said "Well, I we found his strong area!  I think his therapist is going to have to use food as a way to win him over".  That just cracked me up because if you know anything about my dad's side of the family - they LOVE to eat!!  That kid is one of them. 


So... thats that.  He was enrolled in the Early On program, and a therapist will start coming weekly to help him along. 

I cannot wait to see how he changes.

No comments: